Listen to the full episode below:
Episode 3 is all about creating and using essential questions to move your literacy instruction forward. Essential questions help with student inquiry and accountability with internalizing the standards and skills that are required to be mastered. When we can begin crafting and implementing essential questions in reading and writing, our students will begin thinking deeper.
- What is an essential question?
- Step 1: Begin with academic standards or desired learning outcomes and choose your main concept
- Step 2: Turn the concept or desired learning outcome into a question
- Step 3: Become your students
- Step 4: Refine your question(s)
- Step 5: Provide opportunities for active exploration
- Learn the benefits of using essential questions during your literacy block
Connect with Megan on social media:
About The Literacy Dive Podcast:
Do you find yourself seeking new ideas when it comes to literacy instruction in elementary classrooms?
The Literacy Dive is a podcast that offers actionable steps and information for ELA teachers. The host, Megan Polk from Miss P’s Style, shares literacy tips and strategies she has learned from her years of experience as an elementary teacher and literacy specialist.
Dive in with us every Monday for a new episode on various literacy topics!